Thursday, December 10, 2009

Enbark Savannah Bridge Run 2009



Rain. I love the rain. In renews your energies and spawns thoughts of a brighter tomorrow. It’s just nice. Sigh.

But it sucks to drive in.

When we planned on driving to Savannah last Friday night we had delusions of granger. We were going to get to town in time for a romantic dinner and fireworks.

Instead it was a 5 ½ hour slog through the rain to see a few flashes of light in the rain soaked sky as we pulled up to our hotel room.

Oh well. We found a place for a quick bite and it was off to the room to sleep for the night. In the morning the Enbark Savannah River Bridge 5k and 10k. At 10:30pm we decided to check the website to see where registration and the start were. In retrospect there probably was a more appropriate time to do this…

“Oh oh, we have a problem. There is no race day registration.”

What an idiot. I really should have checked that, huh?

Of course now my wife and my differing philosophies butted heads. She says, “Look it’s a sign…” Oh please. I assured her that I’d get a number. I went to bed not knowing if I’d be able to do the race. “What, the rules don’t apply to you?” I didn’t have an answer for that one.

Out the door at 6am. Registration was to begin at 6:30am so I figured I’d get there early and beg my way in. Our motel room was actually on the race course and very close to the finish line. As a matter of fact the 6 mile mark for the 10k was almost in front of the parking lot. This means that the 5k start was 3 miles away. I’d run the race in 17:57 later. Why did it take me 35 minutes to drive 3 miles? Well… it’s because I’m an idiot.

If I had opened my eyes as I left the motel I would have see that the on-ramp for the bridge (the race started on the other side of the bridge) and drive right to the start. Instead I inexplicably went left. Then I found the highway. Aha! I’ll get on here…

Crap… the wrong way. I’ll just get off at the first exit and reverse direction. Crap…. Another highway. OK, reversed direction on second highway. OK, back going towards the bridge…

Missed my exit.

Back at my hotel. Crap. Crap. Crap.

Started over and found the bridge. Nice. OK now for the real challenge before the challenge. How was I going to beg my way into a full race? I can do anything I set my mind to. I decided to be honest.
Luckily when I arrived there were very few runners and mostly volunteers. I pleaded my case and ended up in front of the race director. Thankfully they had some extra numbers. I paid for mine and was off to my motel room to do a little “I told you so…”.

Now I had a race to run. Actually two races to run.

5k first. The 5k race went up and over the big bridge (5% incline for about ¾ mile) and finished downtown. As I waited in the pouring 48 degree rain I couldn’t believe how many people stood there shivering with me. There were 1500 brave souls in this race. Nice.

Santa blew the bull horn and we were off into the freezin’ ass rain. I went right to the lead. I felt strong and was running hard.

My strategy was to run as hard as I could in the 5k and see what was left in the tank for the 10k.

As I started up the climb I got caught and passed. The leader pulled away and had about 10 seconds at the top of the climb. My first mile was 5:46, and then I slowed to 6:06 for the second mile because of the assent. As I ran down the hill the gap began to grow thin. At the bottom of the hill the leader was maybe 10 meters in front. I made the pass at the top of a small hill and in front of my hotel.

My last mile was 5:35 and it felt great. I crossed the line with my hands in the air. This picture (the one that is shone above) was in the online paper the next day.

17:57 and first place in a 5k with 1500 people. Good stuff! I was happy and very proud! My day, however, was not over. I had another race to run.

The fellow that finished 2nd was only 3 seconds back and he was doing the “Double Pump” as well. The guy in third... yeah, he was also. He was around 20 seconds back. It was going to be in for a dog fight if I wanted to win the Double Pump crown.

Bring it.

I did my media interviews and found a nice warm hotel to hang out in. I even found a internet kiosk and updated my Facebook status. Ah technology.

9am. Time to race again. Go.

As I set out for the trip over the bridge AND back again I noticed something strange. Despite running 90% in the 5k I felt fine. My legs weren’t hurting at all! I love running in the cold.

At mile 1 (6:09) I got passed by the guy that finished 3rd in the 5k. He pulled away and I kept him in sight. I was going to have to race till the end. Life is good today!
Mile two was 6:20, then 5:52, then 6:06, then 6:06 (last time up the hill). One mile to go.

Gut check time.

I had worked my way into 4th after being in 7th at the mile. I’d been there for a while. The guy that I was focusing on was staying about 20 seconds in front of me. He seemed to surge when I surged and slowed when I slowed. I needed to get a little closer to preserve my victory.

With one mile to go I knew that what I did in the next 5-6 minutes would be the difference between 1st and 2nd place.

That’s right. It was my choice whether I won it or lost it. MY CHOICE.

I chose to win thank you very much.

I pushed the pace as hard as I could and left it out there. I would run a 5:25 last mile and passed the one dude to finish 3rd in the race. My time was 37:07. The guy in 2nd was the guy who finished 3rd in the 5k but I got within 9 seconds of him in the end.

Over 3 thousand entrants in the 10k and I finished 3rd. There were 350 people that completed the “Double Pump” and I won that. I’ll have to say that of all the races that I’ve ever won with is certainly the biggest. Very happy and proud to do so well.

Next is the Florida Marathon in Clermont on December 19th. The goal is 2:45. That’s 6:18 per mile. I can do THAT in my sleep…

No comments:

Post a Comment